Saturday 31 December 2016

Dunkirk refugee camp day 1



So my first day was hard work. About 30 children visited the centre, which is like a run down portacabin. It's ok when the generator works but cold and dark when it doesn't. The women's centre is much barer, with nothing to do in it and chipboard floor and seating with tarpaulin walls. About 15 women joined in my first English lesson, which had to be high on the differentiation to cater for the different language levels. The families were mostly Kurdish, from Iran, Iraq and Kurdistan, but Afghans and others too. The camp itself is basically numbered sheds in mud. There is nothing to do all day but wait for nightfall to try your luck on a lorry. The highlight of my day was learning to use a squat loo. Tomorrow I will not be drinking as much to limit my use of it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment