Saturday 31 December 2016

Dunkirk refugee camp day 2

Today started quietly. Many of the families stayed at home as there had been a police raid with tear gas and dogs last night (no one's quite sure why). When I say at home, I mean in the 3m square plywood shack that was built as temporary housing but is still in use. My lunchtime adult English lesson was interrupted by a food delivery, so we put it to good use and I didn't allow anyone to get past without saying whether they liked or didn't like the food in English. It's teaching on the most basic scale - me and a mini whiteboard, making the most of every situation to gain more language. I was really pleased that today some of the women started to come up to me to say the phrases we are learning. This afternoon we did loom bands, and the most enthusiastic bracelet makers were three boys, 14, 16 and 17 years old, one of whom was an unaccompanied minor (don't believe the papers saying they are adults pretending). They had great fun!
I know you're probably sick of the fundraising by now, but I'd love to be able to get a mini projector and dvd player for the centre whilst I'm over here as the kids loved a film night when a projector was borrowed. They can be got for just under a hundred - if you haven't already donated then please think about it now. I also want to get a replacement chess set and some dolls for the dolls house.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/caroline-dunkirk-refugees

No comments:

Post a Comment